This savory little treat is overdue, but tasty nevertheless… and since it’s an ideal choice for New Year’s Eve appetizers, I think now’s the right time to unveil it.
Behold! Snazzy grilled cheese as done by Anne Saxelby, charming monger of the Essex Street Market.
This video was captured at this year’s NYC International Pickle Festival, back when short sleeved shirts and light summer dresses were appropriate attire. (Oh, how I pine for the sun! )
Saxelby’s Snazzy Grilled Cheese (Makes one sandwich) 2 pieces Good sliced bread
1 tsp Olive oil for drizzling
1 Tbsp Puréed pickled peppers, chutney, chow-chow or pickle relish 2 Thin slices of feta cheese
- Lay out two slices of bread and drizzle olive oil on one side of one of the slices.
- Spread about pureed pickled peppers on that same slice of bread.
- Stack two thin slices of feta cheese atop the pickled pepper puree.
- Top the stack with the other slice of bread (oil side out) and toast the sandwich in a hot panini grill for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slice into quarters and serve immediately.
You may ask yourself, why would this sandwich make a good New Year’s Eve treat? Good question!
Salty, rich foods often go well with drier bubbly sips, so when you crack open the Champagne (or maybe try a Spanish Cava this year… it’s just as festive and waaay cheaper), I’d urge you to consider serving up a few wedges of Anne’s Grilled Cheese as a cheesy, cheery pairing partner. Delight ensured.
May the new year be healthy, happy and even more delicious than the last.
Cheers to auld lang syne, my dears!